struts-user mailing list archives

From <Reginald.Jav...@gxs.com>
Subject RE: Thread pool samples
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 06:11:37 GMT
You can try looking at : http://commons.apache.org/pool/

Reginald Javier
Software Engineer II, Strategic Customer Solutions Implementation
T: +632-859-5442
-----Original Message-----
From: Zoran Avtarovski [mailto:zoran@sparecreative.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 12:44 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: OT: Thread pool samples

I¹m trying to implement a simple thread pool model (Java 1.4) for a
telemetry application.

I¹m getting up to speed with threads but I haven¹t been able to find any
examples of setting a thread pool in a server/servlet environment.

I have a number of remote units which upload telemetry data for processing
via http and receive instructions via the response. The instructions aren¹t
dependent on the results of data processing. At present I fire off a new
thread to process the data for each unit, but it makes sense the best
approach would be to have a fixed pool of threads and then add the data to a
queue which is processed by the pool of threads.

It¹s setting up the initial pool that I¹m a little unclear about. Do I setup
a Threadpool servlet and set it to load on startup and store the pool in the
application scope?

Any advice or pointers to some good information would be appreciated.

Z.