struts-user mailing list archives

From Jeromy Evans <jeromy.ev...@blueskyminds.com.au>
Subject Re: Dynamic include of a CSS stylesheet
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 11:47:10 GMT
Roger wrote:
>> I often use:
>>
>> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/css/main.css">
>> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"
>> href="${pageContext.request.contextPath}/css/main.css">
>> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="${initParam.css}/main.css">
>>
>> where ${initParam.css} refers to an init param in web.xml (useful if it
>> needs to change with the deployment, such as a version number)
>>

> Could you point me at some code examples on how to set this up. I've a need to
> load a different style sheet depending upon either the locale of the user, or
> a user selected locale.

If dealing with Locale, I'd take a different approach.  Struts2 sets the
locale on the response object, and the i18n interceptor allows it to be
overridden with the request_locale parameter.

So you could:

a. Reference the locale directly
eg.

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="/css/${pageContext.response.locale}/main.css">

or b.  use the s:text tag to reference a path specified in a resource
bundle for the current locale
eg.

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="<s:text value="env.csspath">/main.css">

or c. Use Tiles and Sitemesh to include a different tile/decoration
based on the locale (as both support this).
eg. <tiles:includeDefinition name="page.cssIncludes"/>

I don't have any non-trivial i18n experience, so there's probably better
ways.  It really depends on what else needs to change on the page; if
you're using a lot of s:text then that's a good approach; if you're
using different tiles then that seems a good approach.