struts-user mailing list archives

From Bipin Sadhwani <bksadhw...@yahoo.com>
Subject struts tiles problem
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 17:07:12 GMT
Hi everyone,
I have this wierd issue with tiles. Probably its a bug.
My environment is:  Windows XP Professional, MyEclipse 6.0.1, Struts 2.0.6, Tiles 2.0.6, J2EE
1.4, JDK 5.0, JBoss 4.2.2
I am trying to insert a tile (a jsp page) into another tile (a jsp page) and so this is my
config (simplified):

    tiles.xml
    ---------

    <definition name="rootPage.index" template="layout.jsp">
     <put-attribute name="pagetitle" value="Page Body Title" />
     <put-attribute name="header" value="header.jsp" />
     <put-attribute name="footer" value="footer.jsp" />
    </definition>

    <definition name="searchEmployee.index" extends="rootPage.index">
     <put-attribute name="body" value="searchEmpBody.index" />
     </definition>
    <definition name="searchEmpBody.index"
     template="/searchEmployee.jsp"/>
    </definition>

    <definition name="status.index" template="/status.jsp">
    </definition>

    layout.jsp
    -----------

     <tiles:insertAttribute name="header" />

     <tiles:insertAttribute name="body" />

Now following are the things I try on my searchEmployee.jsp

searchEmployee.jsp - This works

    <%@ taglib prefix="tiles" uri="http://tiles.apache.org/tags-tiles";%>

    <tiles:insertDefinition name="status.index"/>

searchEmployee.jsp - This also works

    <%@ taglib prefix="tiles" uri="http://tiles.apache.org/tags-tiles";%>

    <s:form action="listEmployees">
     <tiles:getAsString name="pagetitle"/>
    </s:form>

searchEmployee.jsp - This does work (only if I use tiles:insertDefinition below s:form)

    <%@ taglib prefix="tiles" uri="http://tiles.apache.org/tags-tiles";%>

    <s:form action="listEmployees">
    </s:form>

<tiles:insertDefinition name="status.index"/>

searchEmployee.jsp - This does NOT work (if I use tiles:insertDefinition above or within s:form
things don't work)

    <%@ taglib prefix="tiles" uri="http://tiles.apache.org/tags-tiles";%>

    <s:form action="listEmployees">
     <tiles:insertDefinition name="status.index"/>
    </s:form>

I get a long exception stack trace which basically says nullptrexception. I'll send it in
the next mail as there's size limit.

I've done the same thing using tiles1.x and it has always worked.

Tks
Bipin