struts-user mailing list archives

From Andy Sykes <a.sy...@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Validation and dispatcher
Date Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:34:28 GMT
I guess I'm going to answer my own question here, though the fact that
my question seems extremely ungoogleable(!) suggests I'm going about
this ass-backwards...

What I did was check hasFieldErrors() at the end of validation method
of the form submission - if true, then I just rebuild my objects for
use in the form. Then when Struts2 uses the dispatcher to send me back
to the form JSP, the objects the form needs are in value stack.

I'm guessing the objects don't persist into the action after form
submission because Struts is just blindly calling the setters and
getters for the form fields, and doesn't give a crap about stuff in
the value stack - it's not going to read them all and call the setters
and getters for those as well.

If anyone else is doing something similar, it would be nice to know I
haven't gone totally insane.

Andy.