struts-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Atkinson <dennisatkinson...@yahoo.com>
Subject New to Struts, a Question
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:44:59 GMT
Hello everyone.

I am new to Struts2, and I like what I see so far.  I want to use it for all my web programming.

I have a question, and I hope I don't sound too foolish for asking it.

I created a login screen, which has two fields, "id" and "password".  I fill those fields,
press the "Login" button, and it goes to the "LoginAction" class, which validates everything,
and I return "success".  This invokes "userDisplay.jsp" which writes the user's information
out to the screen.

When the userDisplay screen appeared, I saw the field descriptions but I didn't see any data.
 It seems like the getter methods for the fields are not being called in the "UserDisplayAction"
class.  When I add the getter methods to the "LoginAction" class, the data appears.

It seems to me that the "LoginAction" class is still in control.  So in theory, if I have
an action class that invokes (via a pick list or a series of buttons) a way of displaying
a dozen different tables by routing to a dozen different jsp files, that action class will
need getter methods for every field in every one of these tables?  Am I reading this right?

I hope one of the experts can clear this up for me.

Thanks in advance,
Dennis Atkinson