struts-user mailing list archives

From Emi Lu <em...@encs.concordia.ca>
Subject Re: struts1.3.10, tomcat 5.5.23, memory leak?
Date Fri, 16 Oct 2009 20:37:36 GMT

>> Why would GarbageCollector need to release them? Because You want it?
>> GC is a tricky beast and it's not listening to anybody.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Run jmap this morning again - some classes are released.
>
> 56    1    webapp.SearchActionForm    -- released
> 40    1    webapp.LocalUserBean       -- released
> 24    1    webapp.HelpActionForm      -- released
> 16    1    webapp.ProcessLogin        -- released
> 8     1    webapp.AuthenticationLists -- released
>
> Not released ones:
> 32    1    webapp.ProcessLoginAction
> 16    1    webapp.filter.AuthenticatedFilter
> 16    1    webapp.filter.ReadWriteFullControlFilter
>
> Should there be parameters control how long classes are released? If
> yes, where are they?

All right, after did several testing. Got the following conclusion: GC
automatically release classes.

Just for future users if interests, tests:

1. jmap
Start webapp
jmap pid | grep webapp
Stop webapp
right away jmap pid | grep webapp

wait 3 mins
jmap pid | grep webapp

wait 10 mins
jmap pid | grep webapp

2. jconsole + tomcat 5.5.23 + j2se5.x
    cd catalina_home/bin
    set JAVA_OPTS=-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
    catalina.sh start
    jconsole &

    Check "Memory-> Heap Memory Usage"
    . Start webapp