struts-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Paul Benedict <pbened...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tags as template parameters?
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 01:25:03 GMT
Dave,

You're a valuable resource to the Struts board! Pascal should pay
attention to what you say.

Paul

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Kawczynski, David wrote:
> Sitemesh doesn't build the entire page... it is a Filter that grabs the
> response text (immediately before the servlet container sends it to the
> client) and adds to it.  Decorators contain what is added to the
> response.  I've found that if your decorators require a lot of run-time
> logic then yes, it will take more time then if it were never modified.
> (Exactly how much time depends on the decorator's logic.)  Otherwise,
> the time to decorate a page is negligible.  Be smart when writing your
> decorators... for instance, mapping different decorators to the
> diverging URI patterns is an easy way to avoid the time penalty
> associated with logic in decorators.
>
> HTH,
> -dave
>
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Pascal [mailto:pascal@voidmage.net]
>> Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:13 AM
>> To: Struts Users Mailing List
>> Subject: Re: Tags as template parameters?
>>
>> I just had a look at Sitemesh and it looks like what I want.
>> There is one
>> thing that disturbs me, though, it looks as if sitemesh will
>> build the page
>> every request, which causes quite some overhead, or am I
>> mistaken there?
>>
>> Pascal
>>
>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:44:59 -0400, Wes Wannemacher <wesw@wantii.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I'm on my phone so I only skimmed your message. If I read correctly,
>> > you should take a look at sitemesh.
>> >
>> > -W
>> >
>> > On 7/17/09, Pascal <pascal@voidmage.net> wrote:
>> >> Hello list,
>> >>
>> >> in Struts2 it is possible to do something like
>> >>
>> >> <html>
>> >> <body>
>> >>   <s:myMainNavigationMenu />
>> >>
>> >>   <h1>A page</h1>
>> >>   <p>Some content</p>
>> >> </body>
>> >> </html>
>> >>
>> >> This works ok, but my problem is that I have to change every single
>> >> page, if i would like to have a custom footer for every page, for
>> >> example.
>> >>
>> >> Now my question is: Is it possible to do something like this?
>> >>
>> >> <s:useTemplate name="myCommonTemplate">
>> >>     <s:setTemplateTag name="body">
>> >>         <h1>A page</h1>
>> >>         <p>Some content</p>
>> >>     </s:setTemplateTag>
>> >> </s:useTemplate>
>> >>
>> >> And as template definition say
>> >>
>> >> <!-- Main menu -->
>> >> <table>...</table>
>> >>
>> >> <s:insertTemplateTag name="body" />
>> >>
>> >> <!-- Footer -->
>> >> <p>This is the footer</p>
>> >>
>> >> I know it is possible to use parameters for templates, but they
>> >> obviously have huge limitations as I can't just put the
>> tags there as I
>> >> did in my example.
>> >>
>> >> Also, I could do something like
>> >>
>> >> <s:myMainTemplate>
>> >> <s:param name="bodyPage" value="page1.jsp" />
>> >> </s:myMainTemplate>
>> >>
>> >> which I also don't want because I would have an extra (unnecessary)
>> page.
>> >>
>> >> So, is it possible to pass whole XML-Structures to
>> templates? Maybe you
>> >> have some reasons why I shouldn't want what I'm suggesting
>> here, I would
>> >> be eager to hear them! :-)
>> >>
>> >> Pascal
>> >>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@struts.apache.org
>>
>>
> Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains
> information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station,
> New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known
> outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or
> MSD and in Japan, as Banyu - direct contact information for affiliates is
> available at http://www.merck.com/contact/contacts.html) that may be
> confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is
> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this
> message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
> message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and
> then delete it from your system.
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@struts.apache.org
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@struts.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@struts.apache.org


Mime
View raw message