struts-user mailing list archives

From Todd Grigsby <strutsu...@tgrigsby.com>
Subject Re: MySQL + JDBC
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 02:56:50 GMT

Not that I wanted to get into a debate about the usefulness of ODBC, but
the Java-based web services we have aren't the only things that connect
to these databases, and going through ODBC has been, for the last 10
years, a very nice and consistent way to connect across all our
applications and utilities.  We have, at one time or another, supported
all of the following:

    MySQL
    Oracle
    SQL Server
    Informix
    DB2
    mSQL
    Pervasive SQL
    MS Access (pre-Jet)

And a few others, and we have connected to these databases via ODBC all
along the way.  Keeping the connection mechanism consistent has made
development work in a number of languages simple.  So while I certainly
appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for talking directly to MySQL, I have a
legacy code base that works *REALLY* well through ODBC, and I'd like to
stick with it.

So one more time for the folks at home: Is there anyone out there who
has managed to get MySQL 64-bit to work via ODBC?

TG