struts-user mailing list archives

From Andy Law <andy....@roslin.ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Some Spring/Struts questions
Date Thu, 13 May 2010 11:10:24 GMT

Wes Wannemacher wrote:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Dale Newfield <dale@newfield.org> wrote:
>>
>> That all sounds reasonable, except the part about putting it in the
>> session
>> instead of the request.  If there's no compelling reason to store
>> something
>> in the session, I think that it should be avoided.  If you're using an
>> interceptor that's going to be doing this injection for each request
>> anyway,
>> you might as well store it in request scope.
>>
>> If you're storing it in the session, and the bean doesn't change much
>> (and
>> can't get stale), the interceptor might as well at least check to see if
>> it's already present and act as a no-op in that case.
>>

> Good point, Dale... I didn't read the OP close enough and was being lazy.
>
> -Wes

Thanks for all the replies so far folks.

Following up on that thought process, if I use an interceptor then is there
any difference/tradeoff/efficiency gain or loss from stuffing the object in
question onto the Value Stack instead of dropping it into the request or the
session? I guess that "explicitness" is what you gain from the
request/session route?

Later,

Andy