struts-user mailing list archives

From Denis Cabasson <denis.cabas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some Spring/Struts questions
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 12:22:39 GMT

> A new requirement means that we need to have available across pretty much
> every action a separate, independent bean that carries information that may
> (or may not) need to be displayed on the resulting web-pages. I am wondering
> what the best way is to make this bean available to each JSP.

We have a case which is pretty much like that. We have decided to use a
static property in a configuration class to hold this instance. OGNL
works pretty nicely with static members, using
@com.MyClass@myBean.property syntax. We are injecting this bean onto the
static member using the MethodInvokingFactoryBean (see
http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/2.5.x/api/org/springframework/beans/factory/config/MethodInvokingFactoryBean.html).
> I'm happy with injecting certain beans into certain actions, but I'm not
> clear what I should be injecting *this* bean into. Ideally it should just
> pop into existence and be available to the JSPs without the Actions even
> being aware that it is there. It's not part of the business logic and is
> purely informational. If I have to make it available through the Actions
> then I would *like* to be able to inject it into the common base class with
> a single configuration and have that work automatically for all sub-classes
> (and this would be a useful trick for some other places in the application)
> but that does not seem to be possible unless I'm missing a trick?

That's actually possible. We are doing that type of things by using the
@Autowired annotation, which means that spring needs to find a suitable
bean to inject there. If you put that annotation on your base class, the
instance will get injected in all sub-classes. But in that case, it's
better for the actions to be unaware of that, so I would using the
static approach. Otherwise, you could use an interceptor to push that
object on to the stack.

Denis.