struts-user mailing list archives

From "James Cook" <James.C...@wecomm.com>
Subject RE: struts-blank-1.3.10.war has memory leak.
Date Thu, 13 May 2010 15:25:10 GMT
Hey,

I know this doesn't give you a direct answer. But I found this article
quite interesting on the topic of undeploying an application and classes
being left loaded, which in turn leaves the classloader.

http://blogs.sun.com/fkieviet/entry/classloader_leaks_the_dreaded_java

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Shifman [mailto:mark.shifman@yale.edu]
Sent: 13 May 2010 16:02
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: struts-blank-1.3.10.war has memory leak.

Hi:

I have been trying to track down a memory leak in my struts 1.3.10 web
app.
I am using tomcat 6.0.26 which has a leak detector button in the manager
app.

After basically gutting my app to a start up page, it occurred to me
that I should
just see if the struts-blank web app has a memory leak. Well, when I
deploy and undeploy
the struts-blank web app and check for memory leaks, it has a memory
leak.

If I do this a couple of times, take a heap dump and use eclipse mat
(memory analysis tool)
plug in, I see several WebAppClassLoaders.  When I look for duplicate
classes I see a bunch
of org.apache.commons.beanutils classes in these WebAppClassLoaders.

I can't really go any farther in characterizing the leak since I don't
understand enough about
classloaders.  This seems like a bug to me.

Any ideas would be appreciated?

mas