struts-user mailing list archives

From "Altenhof, David Aron" <dalte...@iupui.edu>
Subject RE: Interceptor attempt
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:20:13 GMT
No problem,  but we're starting to veer off topic here.

Of course, you'll delegate the data access to service or dao's, but ultimately your Action
is going to have to know if the transaction commit succeeded if it's going to send an appropriate
response (success/error) to the user. I'm sure Spring must give your action access to this
through some kind of injection or AOP, but that's for another day.

BTY, does anyone have a favorite Struts2/Spring/Hibernate integration tutorial that they've
tested with a recent versions of the frameworks. I've tried a couple with limited success.

-David

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcus Bond [mailto:marcus@marcusbond.me.uk]
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:01 AM
To: user@struts.apache.org
Subject: Re: Interceptor attempt

Sorry to jump the thread David..

Looks like the ThreadLocal (unique per thread) session using HibernateUtil or equivalent would
be the better bet. I'd question why you need direct access to the session from within your
actions anyway as you're likely to be calling methods on some service class to do any updating
/ querying anyway and to be simply using the action class to 'control' where to go next, so
it is in these service classes that you will be trying to get hold of the session and current
transaction.
Assuming you're not requiring new transactions (equivalent of propagation="REQUIRES_NEW" in
Spring AOP) for the work that goes on in your action then your interceptor could simply initiate
a current transaction and then in a finally block commit or rollback as required (i.e when
detecting errors) before rendering the view.

Once you're done with having a go at this then I'd say, depending upon the complexity of your
app, to let Spring do the mundane work for you - injecting the required service beans into
your Actions and declaring the transactional stuff so your code can simply worry about the
business logic and application flow and not the intricacies of getting hold of sessions and
beginning / ending transactions etc.

Regards,
Marcus.

On 11/11/2010 14:33, Altenhof, David Aron wrote:
> Greg-
>
> Thanks for bumping my memory on when the page gets rendered. I remember reading that
somewhere, but forgot when writing this. Committing the transaction in the action for save/delete
seems to be the way to go.

> Regarding ThreadLocal, I'm a bit new to Java and still struggling a bit with the concept.
You can simply simply call a sf.getCurrentSession().beginTransaction(); to begin and  sf.getCurrentSession().getTransaction().commit();
to commit it from anywhere in your app?

> Thanks,
>
> David

Hibernate Session and Transaction injected.

> public interface HibernateAware
> {
>   void setSession(Session session);
>   void setTransaction(Transaction tx); }
>
> Next, you only want to create a Session and Transaction if the Action
> implements HibernateAware,
>
> Object action = invocation.getAction(); if (action instanceof
> HibernateAware) {
>    HibernateAware ha = (HibernateAware) action;
>    ha.setSession(...)
>    ha.setTransaction(...)
> }
> else
> {
> return invocation.invoke();
> }
>

> Next and a bigger issue;  I think it is a really bad idea to do the commit in the interceptor.
 If the commit fails it is too late to tell the user or do anything about it since your result
and response has already been rendered.  You need to understand how the interceptor stack
works, but the key point is the first interceptor or action that returns a result string causes
the result to be processed and the response (jsp page) to be rendered before the interceptor
stack starts to unwind. SO if the commit fails, it's too late in the interceptor to do anything
about it, you have already rendered the everything is OK page to the user.

> What I do is to commit the transaction in the Action then if it fails I can return a
FAILURE result.

> Now if you need a Transaction open in order to allow lazy loading while rendering the
jsp page what I will do is begin a second transaction.

> Then in the interceptor I will Rollback the transaction and close the session since nothing
in the page rendering should modify any entities.

> Next; your interceptor needs to close the session.
>
> Your option instead of storing the session in the action is to store it and the transaction
in ThreadLocal storage. In fact if you copied your HIbernateUtil from many of the examples
it may already be storing the session in ThreadLocal storage as this is very common.

> One thing you need to be aware of regarding ThreadLocal storage and web servers; most
web servers use a thread pool for executing requests and once your request is finished the
thread gets put back into the pool for use on a future request.  This can be a problem if
you don't properly clean up all ThreadLocal storage, for example if you leave a session open
and in ThreadLocal storage when the thread gets re-used for the next request it will already
have a session in it and it will be reused.  This usually happens when an exception occurs
and the session doesn't get closed so chances are the session is corrupt or dead which will
cause this later request to fail unexpectedly.

> I would put the call to invocation.action() in a try block with a finally block that
closes the session and cleans up any other THreadLocal stuff you have so it doesn't pollute
the thread pool.

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Greg Lindholm<greg.lindholm@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> I've written a couple of these so let me give you some advice:
>>
>> Create an Interface "HibernateAware" that your actions will implement
>> if they want a Hibernate Session and Transaction injected.
>>
>> public interface HibernateAware
>> {
>>
>> }
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Altenhof, David Aron
>> <daltenho@iupui.edu>  wrote:
>>> Hello all, I'm trying to write my own interceptor, and have a question or two...
>>>
>>> I'd like to write a simple interceptor that will manage hibernate sessions for
me. I know that there are more sophisticated ways to do this using Spring, etc. but this is
mainly a learning experience.

>>> So, given the simple code below, my questions are:
>>>

>>> 1)      Does it appear to be thread-safe?
>>>
>>> 2)      Is there any condition, other than an unhandled exception elsewhere in
the app, that would cause the transaction not to be committed?

>>> 3)      Are there any better places to stash the session and transaction references
other than the Action? I tried putting it on the value stack, but that wreaked havoc with
the Params interceptor.