struts-user mailing list archives

From Eric Lentz <Eric.Le...@sherwin.com>
Subject Re: "/" character an invalid key?
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 13:10:34 GMT
> My first guess would be that OGNL is trying to evaluate it, although
> since it's a string, not sure that makes any sense.
>
> I don't know how your DB is laid out or how what sounds like ad-hoc
> structures are being created, but is a text ID really the only thing
> you have available?
>
> Dave

Well, the keys end up being stored in the DB, in another table from the
source of the keys, as ad-hoc field names. You know at a glance the
context of a stored value. It also makes it easy for reporting.

I can use the DB surrogate key of the source of the dynamic field, but
then when I store the values I have a N+1 type query to get the field
names or I have to get all of the keys and then find them in a List or Map
object for each form field so that I have the label value to store in the
final table. That's a lot of extra work, which is why it isn't desirable.
Ultimately, I guess this will be what I have to do since this doesn't
work.

Do we call this a bug?