struts-user mailing list archives

From Anjib Mulepati <anji...@hotmail.com>
Subject Returning response object only from Action
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:34:42 GMT
Hi All,

I want to know how I can send the repose object with JSON content to the
view from the Action class.

I am trying to add AJAX feature in Struts 1.3.8 application as shown in
http://www.zammetti.com/articles/xhrstruts/index.htm.

Instead of doing

public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping, ActionForm inForm,
HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws Exception {

         // Get a list of characters associated with the select TV show
         String tvShow = (String) request.getParameter("tvShow");
         if (tvShow == null) {
             tvShow = "";
         }
         ArrayList characters = getCharacters(tvShow);

         // creating HTML in an Action
         String html = "<select name=\"CharactersSelect\">";
         int i = 0;
         for (Iterator it = characters.iterator(); it.hasNext();) {
             String name = (String) it.next();
             i++;
             html += "<option value=\"" + i + "\">" + name + "</option>";
         }
         html += "</select>";

         // Write the HTML to response
         response.setContentType("text/html");
         PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
         out.println(html);
         out.flush();

         return null; // Not forwarding to anywhere, response is
fully-cooked

     } // End execute()

How can I avoid creating HTML in action class and send the Arraylist
/JSON to view?

Thanks,
Anjib