struts-user mailing list archives

From "Eric Reed" <ERE...@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
Subject Re: Struts2 Memory Management
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 15:28:51 GMT
Struts 2 would perform about the same as all the other frameworks available.

Storing an array list of 1000 objects on your server won't consume all that much memory and
any current framework can easily handle such a request.  This also depends on the size of
the object, and how much memory is allocated to the application. The real slow-down would
come from the garbage collector if your process was called so much that it was eating up all
your available memory.  Read up on all the ways you can configure the collector and you will
find that it can easily clean up the mess without bringing your application to a halt.

The real problem however is on the client end, the browser will most likely crash.

Eric Reed
NYS Education Department
Senior Developer
TEACH System

>>> Charles Godfrey <chaalz@gmail.com> 10/19/2011 9:49 AM >>>
Sorry, let me clarify.

I meant loading all those objects into the action class vs. lets say loading
50 at a time and doing out.println() in your servlet, then repeating this,
so you are only ever loading 50 (or whatever number) into memory.

I know you can always throw more memory at it, or paginate long lists of
data so you don't have to load all at once, but the question I'm being asked
is how does Struts2 perform if I do need to present a large amount of data
to the user?

I had the same reaction you did, but is there any memory/session/advanced
feature, anything at all, that even relates to this?
Until I can show this won't be an issue, Struts2 is a no go, so I'm reaching
out to you all.

-Charles