struts-user mailing list archives

From Miguel Almeida <mig...@almeida.at>
Subject RE: Does the StrutsTestCase test filters defined in web.xml?
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 15:33:58 GMT
Hi Steve,

On Mon, 2012-05-14 at 11:09 +0100, Steve Higham wrote:

> Hi Miguel,
>
> I haven't used the StrutsSpringTestCase however I have made use of the StrutsTestCase.
>
> This only tests the interceptor stack / Action / Result. There is no web server involved
and no attempt to render the resulting page.

Yes, that's what I thought.

> You could try looking at Apache Cactus or Apache HttpClient to test this behaviour? Alternatively
if you generate the file within Struts then the StrutsTestCase will suffice. I've generated
exports from Struts this way.

Both are no longer maintained (I guess httpclient got replaced with
Apache http components (http://hc.apache.org/ ) but I haven't explored
this yet.

For this case (testing the pdf output created by the displaytag) I don't
think it'll be worth it to invest in a new testing setup: this is the
only thing that is produced outside the scope of struts and a manual
inspection might suffice.

However, I do want to explore other tools that are available to test the
http request/response, so I'll look into this further.

Cheers,

Miguel Almeida

> Cheers,
>
> Steve

tests (under the skin). I am also using Displaytag (www.displaytag.org/1.2/ ) to build some
tables in the view.
> This tag supports excel/pdf export, which uses a filter you configure in web.xml [1]
>
> The way the filter works is, in short: a (odd looking, numerical) parameter is added
to the request. The filter checks for the existence of that parameter and, if it exists, creates
the pdf/excel.

> I want to test the creation of this file (and its contents). However, when I debug the
StrutsSpringTestCase test with a breakpoint on that filter it does not stop there, so my questions
are: