struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <davelnew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Camel Case Package Names
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2012 13:24:21 GMT
This doesn't seem to be Struts-related at all.

In any case, as Bruno says, of course camelCase package names are *allowed*.

If the classes exist as files on the filesystem, and you're using a
degenerate OS that doesn't believe case matters, I could see there being
potential conflicts between the OS and Java. This is most-often encountered
on Windows-like machines.

As far as package naming convention goes, the current JLS says more or less
the same as the one I referred to in the linked post. The first segment
*should* be all lowercase, but does not *have* to be. It goes on to suggest
using underscores in package names when a segment would violate Java naming
conventions.

It doesn't appear to directly reference camelCasing, but package segment
names need only adhere to Java naming conventions--beyond that, it's at the
user's discretion. *I* don't like camel-cased package names (or
underscores) but if naming needs (e.g., a company like "2Girls1Cup")
dictate a naming tweak to be legal, there's nothing in the spec that
disallows it.

Dave