struts-user mailing list archives

From Eric Lentz <ericle...@outfastsource.com>
Subject Re: Strategy for navigation in struts 1.2
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:42:10 GMT
Requirement 4 seems a little (unnecessarily?) restrictive. You obviously
need to store the information somewhere. Why not the session?

If not in the session or a cache, then the database would be the next
likely candidate, in my opinion. You'll have to manage it by clearing
information after you use it. If you used the session, worst case, it would
be cleared once the session was invalidated due to timeout, for example.

You could also possibly use cookies. Again, you'd need to manage these in
the event that someone comes back.

Those are pretty much the usual suspects.

Regarding:
>So far i am passing calling page as reference to this add page, and then
using java script forward the action back to calling page.

In Struts 1, is this safe? Thread-safe, that is. You might be safer to load
relevant information into a DTO and pass that around as method parms,
thereby making it thread-safe. Once again, you're using server memory to do
this, so why not put it into the session?

- Eric