struts-user mailing list archives

From Alireza Fattahi <afatt...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: OGNL Static Method call wrapper
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2015 14:39:39 GMT
The problem of static methods was not the issue I was talking about.
Static methods are there you can use them or not, OGNL supports calling static methods.The
struts team decided to disable this feature.Lots of framework users, use this feature ( may
be they have set -Xmx .. parameters or not) But they are using it. Let them decide if they
should use static method or not.
Now:
If some one decide to use static method call in validators or JSPs)
Is it good to have a method in Action Supports which can be used to help faster integration
and mean while enable users to call static method envocation in action and JSPs ?!
 ~Regards,
~~Alireza Fattahi

     From: Martin Gainty <mgainty@hotmail.com>
 Sent: Monday, 19 January 2015, 17:00
 Subject: RE: OGNL Static Method call wrapper

No
*Unless* you configure app to implement max heap  -Xmx2048M -XX:PermSize=2048M -XX:MaxPermSize=2048m

dont declare any entity Static anything .statics are notorious for parking in Permgen
where of course the accumulation of other statics will eventually cause OOM
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8387989/where-is-a-static-method-and-a-static-variable-stored-in-java-in-heap-or-in-sta

read this q&a on how variables and methods and classes declared statically essentially
violate OOP
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7026507/why-are-static-variables-considered-evil

Martin

> Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:02:19 +0000
> From: afattahi@yahoo.com.INVALID
> To: user@struts.apache.org
> Subject: OGNL Static Method call wrapper
>
> As the OGNL static method will be disabled soon ... we could use a wrapper to call those
static methods
> Do you think it is a good idea to add a method ActionSupport for calling the static methods
>
> So instead of @foo.bar@isValidAmount(amount)
> we can use callStaticMethod("foo.bar.isValidAmount",amount)
>
> In this way there will be no need to add different method wrappers every time we want
to call static method and we can update the code lot easier, The callStaticMethod (String
methodName, String... Parameters)  can use reflection to call static methods