struts-user mailing list archives

From "Xu, Hui@DCSS" <Hui...@dcss.ca.gov>
Subject Struts 1 migrate to Struts 2 question
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2015 23:40:02 GMT
We are planning to migrate to Struts 2.3.24.1 from Struts 1.1. Here are our questions:

We have large and complex case management application that uses struts and struts menu version
1.1.  The application has over 1,000 pages many of which contain many data elements.

The effort required to upgrade and test a large application to Struts version 2 looks very
large.  The effort to upgrade and test the entire application in a single release looks undoable.

Questions:

1)      Are there any software tools that can be used to speed up the time to update JSPs,
page validation, tag library calls, Action classes, etc to reduce development, improve code
quality, and reduce testing time?

2)      Can a single application use both Struts 1 and Struts 2 at the same time?

a.       Would it be feasible to use Struts 2 for any new pages and upgrade to Struts 2 for
any pages being changed for other reasons?

b.      What are considerations for groups of pages would need to be converted together (for
example shared conversation for page flows)

3)      We do an application release every 6 weeks or so.  We can't do this in one release
unless we find or develop a tool to help us convert pages to Struts 2.  We are considering
upgrading 100 pages per release to Struts 2.  Has anyone done something like this successfully?
 What are best practices and lessons learned?

4)      Test effort.  With all of the code changes required it seems that developers could
miss things.

Everything we have seen so far indicates that this will be a huge effort for both development
and testing.  We are trying to find ways to streamline/automate some of this effort.  Any
help would be appreciated.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or
legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized
interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including
the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.