struts-user mailing list archives

From Paul Zepernick <Paul.Zepern...@healthsmart.com>
Subject Struts 2.5.x support above Java 8
Date Sat, 10 Nov 2018 00:39:18 GMT
Has anyone got Struts 2.5 to work for Java 11 or anything above Java 8?  I have a project that
I was trying to migrate to Java 11 using 2.5.18.  I have it compiling, but then ran into an
issue with the ASM library.  I am using the REST plugin, which is dependent on the convention
plugin.  The convention plugin has the dependency to ASM, and I am getting the error mentioned
in this ticket:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/WW/issues/WW-4866?filter=allopenissues

I have tried Java 10 with ASM 6.0 mentioned in the comments and ASM 7.0 with Java 11.  Both
produced the same IllegalArgumentException already mentioned.  A quick glance at the source
seemed to indicate that ASM changed the constructor on the class that is being called to accept
byte[] instead of InputStream.

My main goal in all of this was to try and ensure we would be running on a supported JDK as
support for 8 is about to be up.  From what I understand, no one from the Java community has
committed to back porting security patches for 8.  Would anyone be willing to share what they
are doing with Java 8 in the enterprise environment if we have to stay on it for Struts applications?
 Are you purchasing, or already have oracle support?

Paul Zepernick

Disclaimer: This communication and any files transmitted with it may contain information that
is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution,
or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is strictly prohibited.
If you received this communication in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy
the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.