struts-user mailing list archives

From David Dillard <David.Dill...@veritas.com>
Subject RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: Question Regarding Recent Security Announcement
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2018 12:33:06 GMT
Ok, that addresses one question, but still leaves one: why is it being recommended to update
File Upload NOW due to a possible DoS, when Struts has been using a version of File Upload
with no documented DoS issue for the last six releases???

Or put another way, Struts 2.3.35 uses File Upload 1.3.2.  File Upload 1.3.2 currently has
no documented DoS issue.  Now, you're saying to update to File Upload 1.3.3 to fix a DoS issue.
 Why?

-----Original Message-----
From: Lukasz Lenart <lukaszlenart@apache.org>
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2018 2:16 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List <user@struts.apache.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Question Regarding Recent Security Announcement

niedz., 4 lis 2018 o 18:40 David Dillard <David.Dillard@veritas.com> napisał(a):
>   1.  Per the Maven repository, Struts 2.3.36 recommends Fileupload 1.3.2 be used<https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.struts/struts2-core/2.3.36>,
not 1.3.3, so I'm confused about what's stated in the email.  What's recommended doesn't seem
to accomplish what the email states it will.

We have overlooked that when we were preparing Struts 2.3.36, this is an easy drop-in dependency.

>   2.  The recommendation for Fileupload 1.3.2 can be found in the Maven repository since
Struts 2.3.30, which was released back in July 2016.
>   3.  This makes sense since the last documented DoS vulnerability in Fileupload was
fixed in 1.3.2.

Here is the original announcement
https://struts.apache.org/announce.html#a20180323

Regards