subversion-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "SpArkx (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Created] (SVN-4814) CLONE - Item index too large in revision
Date Wed, 24 Apr 2019 13:33:00 GMT
SpArkx created SVN-4814:
---------------------------

             Summary: CLONE - Item index too large in revision
                 Key: SVN-4814
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SVN-4814
             Project: Subversion
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: unknown
    Affects Versions: 1.9.x
            Reporter: SpArkx
            Assignee: Stefan Fuhrmann
             Fix For: ---
         Attachments: 1_globalmentor-repo-1.8-java-db-revs-1-1925.7z, 2_globalmentor-repo-1.9-java-db-revs-1-1925.7z

***Short version:

I installed Subversion 1.9 on my server, and my Subclipse client using JavaHL in Eclipse 4.5
suddenly got this error when I tried to look at the history of a file:
{noformat}
    org.apache.subversion.javahl.ClientException: RA layer request failed
    svn: Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://svn.example.com/trunk/src/main/java/com/example/FooBar.java'
    svn: Unexpected HTTP status 500 'Internal Server Error' on '/trunk/src/main/java/com/example/FooBart.java'
    
    APR does not understand this error code
    svn: Additional errors:
    svn: Item index 5460 too large in revision 1925
{noformat}

I reinstalled Subversion 1.8, and this error went away.

***Long version

# Subversion 1.9 is out. Yay! I decided to upgrade right away.
# I tried to download and build the tarball, but now Subversion requires Python 2.7, which
is quite hard to get on CentOS 6.4, because it conflicts with yum, etc. So I guess I'll skip
running tests.
# Alas Subversion 1.9 requires a higher version of Serf than I get with CentOS 6.4, so I decide
to build it myself. It requires oodles of configuration using something called scons, and
when I try to test the build, it fails. So I guess
my brand new Subversion 1.9 won't have HTTP(S) support, either. But at least I'll have an
extra-efficient repository on the server... right?
# So Subversion 1.9 is now running on to the server. I go to my main repository (which I've
been maintaining since around the time of the first public release of Subversion 1.0) and
do a dump. Then I do a load. Oh... Subversion tells me
that it won't do a reload because some of my super-old (decades-old?) svn:log entries don't
have canonical EOLs (probably some old client put a few CRLFs in). (So svnadmin, why don't
you fix it for me? Is it really so hard?)
# Because I had (foolishly) deleted my original repository after dumping (what was I thinking?)
I had to use the --bypass-prop-validation switch just to get a repository back. But how to
get rid of all those bad EOLs? I came up with an elaborate dance using svnsync (because apparently
it is smarter than svnadmin and can normalize EOLs). You can read the gory details here:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/32030939/421049
# Of course the new repository has the wrong UUID, so I had to use svnadmin setuuid to make
my clients recognize it.
# Then I tried to see the history of a file on my client, which is Subclipse on Eclipse 4.5
using JavaHL. (Subversion 1.8 clients can work with Subversion 1.9 servers, right?) That's
when I get that long error I showed above.
# Thinking that this stemmed from my elaborate dance using svnsync, I went to the server and
switched back to the repository I had loaded using --bypass-prop-validation. Nope, same error.
# Crossing my fingers, I downloaded the latest Subversion 1.8 series and installed it. I re-loaded
the svnsync version of my repository (the one with normalized EOLs). Suddenly my Eclipse 4.5
with Subclipse and JavaHL are working again.

Now that it's working I'm not touching anything until I get this all converted to Git. I must
have been crazy to try to upgrade to Subversion 1.9 so soon...

Original issue reported by *garretwilson*



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v7.6.3#76005)

Mime
View raw message