subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: SVN and NTFS - illegal character ':' in filename
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:46:52 GMT
On Mar 23, 2010, at 05:14, Markus Fried wrote:

> I'm using SVN (client side) on a Win7 64bit box with NTFS. I've got an issue when SVN
tried to create a (SVN-system-file) named "locations-fit (10.08.09 09:52).js.svn-base".

> On NTFS a ':' marks an "alternate data stream", so a "svn update" produces an file system
error.

> Is there a way to tell SVN not to use such file names?

You can write a pre-commit hook preventing the commit of files whose names contain forbidden
characters. There's a whole list of characters and filenames that Windows doesn't like that
it would be useful to prevent the commit of. I'm not sure if anybody has written such a script
yet.

After you put such a hook script in place, you may also still need to look at all the files
already in your repository and see if any of them violate the naming restrictions, and rename
them if they do.