subversion-users mailing list archives

From Alin <alin.tomoi...@ttu.edu>
Subject Re: older versions of the subversion server
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:29:18 GMT
Ryan and Thomas,
Thank you very much for your advice.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Schmidt <subversion-2010b@ryandesign.com>
To: Thomas Loy <Thomas.Loy@cbeyond.net>
Cc: Tomoiaga, Alin <alin.tomoiaga@ttu.edu>, users@subversion.apache.org
<users@subversion.apache.org>
Subject: Re: older versions of the subversion server
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:24:56 -0500

On Jun 17, 2010, at 15:18, Thomas Loy wrote:

> On the bright side, we had virtually no issues on our upgrade – the major issue was
trying to get all of our users to upgrade their clients.

There is at least a way you can automate advising your users to upgrade to Subverison 1.5
or later if they have 1.4.x or earlier: the start-commit hook script. This hook script will
be passed a list of client capabilities; if the client capabilities do not include mergeinfo,
you know it's older than 1.5. You could at that point abort the commit and print an error
message advising the user to upgrade their client.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.reposhooks.start-commit.html

I don't know of a way to detect the client version beyond that, though. And unfortunately
early versions of 1.5.x weren't totally satisfactory for merge tracking, so you really do
want your clients to be the latest version.