subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Promting files from trunk to a specific tag
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 18:12:14 GMT
On Jul 9, 2010, at 11:49, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 7/9/2010 11:04 AM, Eramo, Mark wrote:
>>
>> In CVS, if I made changes to some files in the trunk, I could promote
>> those into a specific tag. Is it possible to do the same in SVN?
>>
>> I have a few files in the trunk that I want to promote to an existing
>> tag without creating a new tag. Just curious if this is possible and how
>> it is done.
>
> The concept of a tag is somewhat different between cvs and subversion so you probably
want to reconsider what you are trying to accomplish at a higher level.  In cvs a tag is basically
a label associated with a file/revision and you need them to group a set together because
there is no other way to do it.  In subversion a tag is a 'cheap' copy that is generally only
needed to give a human-friendly name instead remembering the path/revision where it was copied
from.  You can assemble grouping that don't appear elsewhere into tags, but by convention
they normally aren't updated.  So for your last question about modifying an existing tag,
yes it is possible but it is not the usual way to do things.  Tags are usually snapshot copies
that aren't modified after creation.

You may also want to read the chapter in the Subversion book for CVS users

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.forcvs.html

Especially:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.forcvs.branches-and-tags.html