subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Getting started with subversion
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 09:06:12 GMT
On Jul 15, 2010, at 02:35, Giulio Troccoli wrote:

>> Okay, with those preliminaries out of the way, open the
>> Terminal and do the following. The "$" will represent your
>> command prompt. This can be changed, so in Unix, it is common
>> just to put "$":
>>
>> $ cd $HOME
>> $ svn mkdir svn_repos
>> $ cd mkdir svn_repos
>> $ svnadmin create newrepo
>>
>> This will create a Subversion repository at
>> /Users/TommyHome/svn_repos called "newrepo". You can find
>> this in Pathfinder. Now, you will want to create a working directory:
>>
>> $ cd $HOME
>> $ svn checkout file://$PWD/svn_repos/newrepo svn_project
>
> I think this should be
>
> $ svn checkout file:///$HOME/svn_repos/newrepo

Except that now your working copy will get created with the name "newrepo" which is weird
since it's not a repo, it's a working copy. So from the original example,

$ svn checkout file://$HOME/svn_repos/newrepo svn_project

would be clearer.

> I know that with the cd command before, $PWD and $HOME are the same, but it's safer to
use $HOME, as it will always point to the correct location.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, if you know what you're doing.

> Also, notice the three /. According to the book you should either have file://localhost/$HOME...
Or file:///$HOME... However I tried on a RHEL and file://$HOME works too

$HOME begins with a slash, hence file://$HOME/... is correct.