subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Debian svn + apache2 configuration errors
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:55:48 GMT

On Jul 22, 2010, at 08:56, kevin fauchon wrote:

>> FYI, I'm not sure if you've got anything in /var/www/svn.monpoulpe.com/, but note
that Apache will not serve anything out of that directory; since you're saying "Location /",
*all* requests will be handled by Subversion.

> The directory is empty, but thanks for the informatinon

Ok, that's what I'd recommend: leave the DocumentRoot pointing at an empty directory.

>> What are the permissions and ownership of
>>
>> /DATA/svn/test/format
>> /DATA/svn/test
>> /DATA/svn
>> /DATA
>>

> chown root:root /DATA && chmod 000 /DATA

I'm not certain whether this might be too restrictive.

> chown www-data:subversion /DATA/svn -R && chmod 770 /DATA/svn -R

That seems reasonable.

I don't know if debian's chown and chmod are more lenient, but on Mac OS X the -R flag must
go immediately after the command name, e.g.

chown -R www-data:subversion /DATA/svn && chmod -R 770 /DATA/svn

otherwise I get the error "-R: No such file or directory"

> chmod g+x /DATA/svn -R

I think this doesn't do anything since /DATA/svn already has execute permission for the group
via the chmod 770 command above.

> apache run under www-data user and group

Seems ok.

> My unix user "test" is member of unix group test and subversion

Doesn't seem related. (User "test" isn't being used anywhere here.)

Do you have SELinux enabled on this box? If so it must be configured too:

http://subversion.apache.org/faq.html#reposperms