subversion-users mailing list archives

From Stefan Sperling <s...@elego.de>
Subject Re: svn checkout - special characters in file name are not encoding properly
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:55:01 GMT
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 05:23:31PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2010-08-11 16:26:32 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Configuring a UTF-8 locale can yield non-portable behavior.

Such as?

> > There's a good reason why various scripts do a "LC_ALL=C".

Then those scripts are written for projects which use ASCII filenames.

> > Moreover there's no portable way to select a UTF-8 locale.

Then your script will have to deal with the intricacies of supporting
several platforms when selecting the UTF-8 locale. For most platforms,
"export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8" should work fine.

> Actually, some UTF-8 locales may not give the expected behavior,
> even with svn. For instance, one may want to parse the output of
> "svn info", and using fr_FR.UTF-8 (if installed) gives localized
> output (in French), which would make the parsing fail.

Well, you can use en_US.UTF-8 to force the output to English.

> And I think
> that "Do not use svn for scripts, reimplement everything using
> bindings." would not be a wise answer.

Scripts written against bindings won't break when we change the
command line output (which happens every once in a while).

Stefan