subversion-users mailing list archives

From Vincent Lefevre <vincent-...@vinc17.net>
Subject Re: svn checkout - special characters in file name are not encoding properly
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 00:26:28 GMT
On 2010-08-11 17:34:19 +0200, Paul Ebermann wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > That's wrong. GNOME let's me to use any locale in shell sessions.
> > Subversion doesn't.
>
> Yes, but GNOME does not allow using any locale in a file manager
> session (or, it ignores the locale in the filemanager session, while
> the command line tools do not).

The main point is that this is transparent to the user.

> > You're forcing the user to use a UTF-8 locale. Unacceptable.
>
> No, GNOME forces the user to use a UTF-8 locale, if ls, rm, cd and
> other command line tools are to show/accept the same name as the
> GNOME file manager.

That's just a minor display problem (not even always a problem).
But ls, rm and cd work fine under non-UTF-8 locales on any file.

> Subversion here simply behaves as any other Unix command line tool,

No, if the user uses a different locale, commands like "svn up" can
fail. There's no such problem with other Unix tools.