subversion-users mailing list archives

From Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: reg: creating a new project from a branch of another project with history
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 23:56:11 GMT
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Yogananth Mahalingam
<yogananth.mahalingam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> We have a unique scenario related to managing projects in SVN.
>

> Here is my scenario.
>

> I have project A.
>
> Now I have created a branch for this project – Branch_A.
>

> I would like to know if there is a way I can copy the content of Branch_A
> (along with its history) & create a new project B.

Just copy Branch A.

It's merging back to the trunk, or merging back to the trunk if anyone
has merged back from branch A, that is a potential nightmare. Ideally
you'd merge back to branch A, and then merge branch A back to the
trunk, and do so consistently.

In subversion, "branches" and "tags" subdirectories are just names for
copied directories of the trunk. You could call them "alfred" and
"liebowitz": it's only the conventions of users that make them
effective for software management.