subversion-users mailing list archives

From Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: can i svn cat without keyword expansion
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 15:50:13 GMT
On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Blair Zajac <blair@orcaware.com> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Bob wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> If I do "svn cat" on a file, with the svn:keywords property set, it expands out
>> SVN keywords such as $Date$, $Revision$, $Id$, etc., in the file (the ones there
>> were included in the svn:keywords property anyway). Is there an option that will
>> NOT do the expansion? Or is there some other way of using the svn client that
>> will achieve the same thing? As I understand, the file is stored in the
>> repository with keywords not expanded, and the client expands them when it
>> retrieves them, so shouldn't it be trivial to have a functionality to skip this
>> step?
>> Thanks,
>>

> Do you want to do this for all files in a checkout or just get a file?  If the later,
you can use curl or wget if you're using http:// or https:// scheme.

OK, I can write wrapper scripts all day to work my way around the
vagaries of inconsistent or mishandled use of keywords, such as the
instance I described. With a well-constructed use of a GNU quality
diff utility, I can even get it do ignore 'Id:' or 'Author:' or all
the other keywords in making a diff report. But having to manually
pull all the files to make the diffs, or having to manually reprocess
them to get a diff report, is exactly the sort of misfeature that
causes many developers to absolutely forbid the use of such keywords
as a source of instability.

The original poster in this thread asked about using "svn cat" and
disabling the keywords: quite sensible, really. I'd like to see a
similar setting for "svn diff" It's not fair, to people who are not as
skilled with scripting and regexp as some of us, to convert the
"$Id:.$", Author, URL, Date, and whatever other keywords are active
into something sensible. And stripping and managing fields with "$" or
worse yet, "@" in them from author names or URL's can get very
finicky. The processing is already going on upstream in Subversion to
create those fields: it seems completely reasonable to disable it on
request.