subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Calling svn log from a program with username and password (OSX)
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 21:48:09 GMT
On Sep 30, 2010, at 03:40, OmarShariffDoneLikeIt wrote:

> I'm writing a program that processes the XML results of svn log. After
> following a bug, I found that on OSX the following example would fail to use
> the specified username and password:
>
> ben> svn log --username someoneelse --password secret
> ssh+svn://myserver.com/repo/trunk -r 1 -v --xml
> ben@myserver.com password:
>
> Notice that is is using the current shell user name and not the username
> provided in the command arguments, nor the password.
>
> So my question(s) are:
>
> - Is anyone aware of any reasons why svn log would ignore the --username and
> --password arguments. If so, what are these conditions? I can't find any
> documentation that suggests that they would be ignored under any
> circumstances.
>
> - Is anyone aware of this issue at all? Is this an OSX only issue? If so,
> anyone aware of a work around?
>
> - If this is a potentially problemeatic way of calling svn log, does anyone
> know of a better way of getting the xml results of svn log whilst providing
> the url, username and password?

I think it's less a Mac OS X issue and more an svn+ssh issue. With svn+ssh, the ssh layer
handles authentication, so anything you pass to Subversion in --username and --password is
irrelevant. You may have to set up keypairs, or serve your repository on a different protocol
(which could be in addition to svn+ssh).