subversion-users mailing list archives

From Bob Archer <Bob.Arc...@amsi.com>
Subject RE: Copy with externals, then commit fails
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 18:32:18 GMT
> I tried to create a new branch of a trunk that had some
> svn:externals definition.
> In particular, it pointed to a file.
>
> I.e.
> /somewhere/a.txt@4 a.txt
>
> I used
> svn copy svn://server/trunk branch
> And the output from that was the usual stuff including
> E      a.txt (indicating an externals file).
>
> svn stat had the following output:
>      +X   a.txt
> Of course, the plus means "with history".
>
> After this, I could not do a commit. The commit failed with a
> message:
> svn: File not found: revision 4, path '/trunk/a.txt'
>
> My suspicion is that due to the fact that the file has history
> associated
> with it, the commit tries to commit a file that it shouldn't be
> committing.
> Besides, I didn't want to add a.txt to my branch, I still wanted it
> to come
> from the original externals definition. Is it a bug that svn copy
> adds
> history info to an external file?

File externals require that the file being pointed to is in the same working copy as the external
of it. From the docs:

"While directory externals can place the external directory at any depth, and any missing
intermediate directories will be created, file externals must be placed into a working copy
that is already checked out."

BOb