subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Capacity limit on Branches and Tags in SVN
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 14:03:25 GMT

On Mar 1, 2011, at 07:51, Colin Fraser wrote:

> I'm looking to migrate an existing repository from CVS into SVN and I've been trying
to find concrete examples of capacity limits.

> Our workflow is to create private branches for bug fixing, feature development, RC testing
etc so we end up with a lot of branches and tags over time - CVS is now struggling to support
this (time taken to branch is hours).  I've seen plenty examples given about the physical
size or number of commits supported in an SVN repository, but nothing about the number of
branches and tags that can be supported.

> Basically I'm concerned about performance degradation over time if we continue to create
many branches.  The numbers I'm talking about are around 2000 branches and 3000 tags, increasing
by about 500 per year.

> Any information or links appreciated.

There isn't a limit, that I'm aware of. One of the big advances in Subversion over CVS is
that branches and tags are implemented differently, and can be created in a short more or
less constant amount of time. In Subversion, they're just ordinary directories, and there's
not a limit on that in Subversion either.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.forcvs.branches-and-tags.html

Having thousands of items in a directory that's checked out can be problematic, but you presumably
won't be trying to check out all thousands of your tags at once, so that should be fine.

I also wouldn't expect you to keep those thousands of branches around. Feature branches --
those created for bugfixes or new features -- should be deleted (or at least moved to an archive
directory) once they've been merged into the trunk.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.commonpatterns.html#svn.branchmerge.commonpatterns.feature