subversion-users mailing list archives

From Hector <sant9...@gmail.com>
Subject Assistance with SVN layout from CVS
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:14:30 GMT
Hi, I have been using CVS since 1998 and I am now finally moving to
SVN. After having studied SVN for the last few weeks, getting the
server prepared and working with clients, both console and GUI, I
think I can use the accumulated experience for a simple migration and
new SVN layout.

We have had many revisions since 1998 and I don't think its worth the
effort to try to re-record all this under SVN.  But what I have done
is under CVS is checked out l the projects from the last 10 revision
tags into their own folders by tag name:

    \rev6_3_452_5
    \rev6_3_452_6
    \rev6_3_452_7
    \rev6_3_452_8
    \rev6_3_452_9
    \rev6_3_453_1
    \rev6_3_453_2
    \rev6_3_453_3  last official release
    \rev6_3_453_4  next pending official release
    \rev6_3_453_5  I would consider this a "branch" w/ one project off
453_3

There are at least in total 100+ projects in the total system, but
they are not all in each tagged revision, only whats changed for that
release. i.e, 453_5 has one project with some exploratory code. It was
by mistake (pre-mature) that it was tagged since this code will not be
used, but I would like to see how that is applied via SVN branches.

I "almost" got the idea of the SVN branch, tags and truck but I am
finding myself a little lost which way to go here.

I can really use some help here.  The above would probably be the
simplistic I can make it to go forward and was hoping to see how
others would lay it out with the SVN framework.  I now SVN offers
flexibility and one can move things around later, but what would you
suggest here?

I decided to post because after I checked out the revision tags, I was
wondering if I should do something like:

   for each revision (upto 453.3)
      - import revision into trunk
      - do a "cheap copy" of current trunk into tags

with the idea that I would end up with:

   - branch
       how do I get that one project 453.5 exploratory code here?
   - tags
      \rev6_3_452_5
      \rev6_3_452_6
      \rev6_3_452_7
      \rev6_3_452_8
      \rev6_3_452_9
      \rev6_3_453_1
      \rev6_3_453_2
      \rev6_3_453_3
   - trunk
      \current       <---- current would be 453.3

and if this the basis for my new SVN layout and then when when I done
with 453.4 development I can commit into the trunk and also create a
cheap copy into tags "rev6-3_453_4"

I speaking as I know what I am doing. :) But maybe I am now.  Note, it
is critical what we maintain a version numbering like 6.4.453.4 (label
wise) as that is how the product has worked since 1998. I would not
how the SVN revision # only idea would apply yet.  I don't use the CVS
revision numbers eithers. Only tags.

I hope I can get some input here. Thanks.

--
Hector, Engineering & Technical Support
Santronics Software, Inc.