subversion-users mailing list archives

From Colin Fraser <colin.fra...@levelfour.com>
Subject Capacity limit on Branches and Tags in SVN
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:51:37 GMT
Hi,

I'm looking to migrate an existing repository from CVS into SVN and I've been trying to find
concrete examples of capacity limits.

Our workflow is to create private branches for bug fixing, feature development, RC testing
etc so we end up with a lot of branches and tags over time - CVS is now struggling to support
this (time taken to branch is hours).  I've seen plenty examples given about the physical
size or number of commits supported in an SVN repository, but nothing about the number of
branches and tags that can be supported.

Basically I'm concerned about performance degradation over time if we continue to create many
branches.  The numbers I'm talking about are around 2000 branches and 3000 tags, increasing
by about 500 per year.

Any information or links appreciated.

Thanks,

Colin Fraser

This electronic message (whether email or facsimile) and any attachments may contain confidential,
proprietary or non-public information. This information is intended solely for the designated
recipient(s).  If you are not the designated recipient, please notify the sender immediately
and destroy this message.  Any review, dissemination, use or reliance upon this information
by unintended recipients is prohibited.  Any opinions expressed in this message are the personal
views of the author.

Level Four Software Ltd. Registered in Scotland No. SC157659. Registered office: Level Four
House, Pitreavie Court, Dunfermline, Fife, KY11 8UU, UK

Level Four Americas LLC. 5960 Fairview Road, Suite 400, Charlotte, NC 28210, USA

Level Four (Middle East). Al Thuraya Tower 1, 2nd Floor - Office 209, Dubai Internet City,
P.O. Box 500274, Dubai, U.A.E