subversion-users mailing list archives

From Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding Unicode files erroneously applies application/octet mime type
Date Mon, 09 May 2011 20:32:28 GMT
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Bob Archer <Bob.Archer@amsi.com> wrote:
> It seems when I "svn add" unicode (UCS-2 Little Endian, I think it is) files svn applies
the svn:mime-type of application/octet to the files.

> I found this in the archives:
>
> http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2004-03/0173.shtml
>
> However the thread seems to come to no conclusion.
>
> My question is, if I remove the property and just commit the file... are diff and merge
operations going to work fine? Or, should I switch to plain ascii encoding?

You'll be able to *execute* them, but I'm not sure if they will work
fine. I think it mainly depends on whether or not your encoding uses
line-endings that are compatible with ascii (\r, \n). The diff
implementation in svn (which is at the heart of the "diff", "merge"
and "blame" commands) depends on being able to split lines with \r or
\n.

Cheers,
--
Johan