subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andy Canfield <andy.canfi...@pimco.mobi>
Subject Subversion user problem?
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2011 01:31:20 GMT
I ran into a problem with a web site I am developing under Drupal; a
problem related to user. And I suspect that the same problem arises witn
Subversion.

On my local copy of that site, sometimes the PHP code creates a
directory and puts files into that directory.  The directory had
standard permissions - readable by all but writable only by owner. But
that directory is owned by www-data because apache/PHP created the
directory.

But when I zip it up, upload it to the server in Hong Kong, and unzip
it, all directories are owned by the user on the server who unzipped the
directory. The permissions were preserved; still readable by all but
writable only by the owner. But the owner was no longer the Apache user,
it was the user who unzipped the directory. I had to invent two shell
scripts; one to run on my computer finding all the directories owned by
Apache on my machine, and the second run on the server making all those
directories writable by all.

I suspect that if I were using Subversion I would still have that
problem. I do not remember seeing anything in the manual about
preserving directory and file attributes, such as readable by all and
writable by all. I do not remember seeing anything in the manual about
directory owners. I saw no warning, I saw no assurance.

But, then again, I haven't finished the second manual yet. Maybe that's
covered farther back in the book.

So does Subversion preserve directory attributes?