subversion-users mailing list archives

From Andy Canfield <andy.canfi...@pimco.mobi>
Subject Re: Subversion: existing users
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 12:00:53 GMT

On 07/24/2011 03:25 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2011, at 03:27, Andy Canfield wrote:
>> On 07/21/2011 07:27 PM, Cooke, Mark wrote:
>>> I don't use *nix much but shouldn't that be `chown -R ...`?
>> Nope, the format of that command on Linux is
>>     chown username.groupname fileselector
>> Generally chown has to be run as root in order to be allowed to change the file owner.
The command on OS X is nearly the same but the user and group are separated by a colon, not
a period.
> -R means "recursive", and yes, you probably did want to have used that option so that
all items in the directory, and not just the directory itself, have their ownership corrected.
You're right; -R means "recursive". I have never used 'chown -R'. In
this case I did not need it because I applied the chown immediately
after creating the SVNParent. Here is the latest version:
*    APACHE_USER=www-data
     APACHE_GROUP=www.data
     SVNPARENT=/data/svn
     sudo mkdir $SVNPARENT