subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: svnadmin failure on nearly identical system
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2011 03:20:40 GMT

On Jul 21, 2011, at 22:09, Andy Canfield wrote:

> I have Ubuntu Linux 10.4 installed on my notebook computer named Lenny. I have the same
system installed on my desktop computer named Athol (I had a lot of trouble getting that hardware
to work). I have installed the Ubuntu Subversion packages on each; namely
>         subversion
>         libapache2-svn
>         libgirepository-1.0-1
> In both cases the SVNParentPath is /data/svn and that directory is owned by www-data:
>     drwxr-xr-x 5 www-data www-data 4096 2011-07-22 09:16 /data/svn
>
> Here is the critical command:
>     sudo -u www-data svnadmin create /data/svn/boofar
> On Lenny the command works, silently. On Athol I get this message:
>    svnadmin: error while loading shared libraries: libsvn_repos-1.so.0:
>          cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Apparently svnadmin cannot find something, but I don't know what it can't find. In both
cases /usr/lib/libsvn_repos-1.so.1 is a symoblic link to:
>     -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 153700 2011-06-05 22:48 /usr/lib/libsvn_repos-1.so.1.0.0
>
> I Googled for that error message and somebody had a problem with the home directory locations.
The implication was that for some reason a Subversion distribution hard-codes the name of
the home directory parent path (e.g. "/home"). No problem with my home directories; the arrangement
is identical. On both machines my home directory is /data/andy and /home/andy is a symbolic
link to /data/andy.

> So any idea why svnadmin runs OK on one machine and fails on the other?

Is there perhaps a second (older) copy of Subversion or its libraries installed, perhaps provided
by your distribution? If so, try uninstalling that.