subversion-users mailing list archives

From David Weintraub <qazw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: symlinks in Windows
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 21:34:22 GMT
On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM, David Player <d.player@tecplot.com> wrote:
> My company uses symlinks with svn quite a bit, but the symlinks are always
> broken in Windows. This has been the case since svn 1.1 or 1.2. Links have
> been supported in Windows since 2000, and improved in Vista in early 2007.
> The mklink utility has been included since Vista.

I usually recommend to stay away from links for several reasons. Even
if two different operating systems support them, the differences in
their implementation could be incompatible. Also, although NTFS
supports junctions, it FAT32 doesn't, and many times the C: drive of a
Windows box will be FAT32. And, if you decide to move away from
Subversion, you could be stuck if your new version control system
didn't support links.

I recommend building the links you need during the build phase of your
project. Then, you can verify the OS and link type and create exactly
what you need.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com