subversion-users mailing list archives

From Hyrum K Wright <hy...@hyrumwright.org>
Subject Re: SVN not usable on a Mac (#2464)
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:54:52 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 4:14 AM, Vitus Piroutz <vitus.piroutz@seeyou.at> wrote:
> Just to file my frustration (to whom it may concern):
>
> As posted yesterday as a comment for issue # 2464 "Canonicalize / stringprep UTF-8 filenames
to handle composed / decomposed differences shown by e.g. Mac OS X HFS+".
> [Reminder: this BUG was originally filed on 2005-12-03 (currently is P2, unscheduled
target milestone)!]

> After switching to a Mac and using SVN the first time on that platform, i initially was
impressed by the nice looking GUI's (e.g. Versions, Cornerstone, svnX).
> As i'm working in a mixed team (Windows, Linux, Mac) with international users, but using
a german/english filled (huge) repository, i have to find out the hard way, that SVN is literally
_unusable_ for Mac users if any umlaute (or non-ascii) characters are used in file- or directorynames.
> What a shame!
>
> Some replies from the support of my GUI-Tool (Cornerstone, as it stands now wasted money):
>
>> "I do understand your frustration, believe me. We have had a number of complaints
regarding this matter but the responsibility for fixing this does lie squarely with CollabNet
et al, and I know that they have received more than their fair share of mails from frustrated
users in relation to this."

>> "No Subversion-offical fixes are available as of yet. As soon as they are, we'll
make them available."

>> "This problem is most likely related to Subversion's lack of support for files containing
accents and diacritics. "

> So please provide a huge badge on http://subversion.apache.org indicating to international
users "Not for Mac users yet! (we can't handle your filenames, but working hard since 2005
to fix this)"

The Subversion developers look forward to your patches which fix this
problem.  Since this is a high-impact issue for you, I'm sure you've
considered how to handle the millions of existing repositories in a
backward-compatible manner.

Best,
-Hyrum (a very satisfied Mac Subversion user)