Thank you very much.

On 07/20/2011 05:44 PM, Stefan Sperling wrote:
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 05:22:57PM +0700, Andy Canfield wrote:
One quirk is that if he URL specifies direct access, e.t. svn ...
file:///var/svn/RepoName, then where is the code which actually
manipulates the contents of the /var/svn/RepoName directory? It must
be hidden in svn itself, or perhaps svn forks a call to something
like svnserve as a subtask to get the manipulations done for it,
since there is no server program already running on the server
computer.
See this picture for a graphical representation of the various
layers Subversion is composed of:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.intro.whatis.html#svn.intro.architecture

I study the diagram. Starting at the top:
I don't know how we got a year old version of mod_dav_syn but that is apparently what is screwing up the http:// protocol.

Each layer has a public API that can be used by other layers.

Clients like 'svn' and TortoiseSVN primarily use the client library's API.
The client library in turn calls into what is referred to as the "repository
access" (RA) library, which selects a repository access implementation
depending on the protocol used (http://, svn://, file://).

But there are exceptions where clients bypass the RA layer.
E.g. if you run TortoiseSVN and select the 'Create repository here'
command (the equivalent to 'svnadmin create'), TortoiseSVN calls
directly into the libsvn_repos API (the API for the big box labelled
"Subversion Repository" in the figure) to create a repository
on local disk.

Getting back to your original question, the so-called "ra_local"
repository access module (labelled "Local" in the figure) which
implements file:// access to the repository calls directly into
the libsvn_repos API to manupilate a repository on local disk.
The 'svn' client is linked to the repository access library,
and hence, indirectly, to the ra_local library and to libsvn_repos,
to support file:// URLs. So you could say that 'svn' contains a copy
of the same code that svnserve uses to access the repository. The
copy is not embedded into the 'svn' binary itself, but is loaded
from a library file (libsvn_repos.dll on Windows) when 'svn' (or
svnserve) is started.

I read the wrong version of "The Book", the featured but obsolete
version. I shall download the "Nightly Build" version ASAP.

Unfortunately google keeps showing links to the 1.1 version of the book.
This problem has existed for ages.
I was not confused by Google. I was confused by the web page http://svnbook.red-bean.com/. On that page there are two versions of the book. The first is labelled "For Subversion 1.5", the other is labelled "Nightly Build (for Subversion 1.7)". I read the first one, under the traditional assumption that anything named "Nightly Build" is alpha and not to be relied upon in a production environment. I was wrong; I will read the second.