subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Delay syncing to mirror repositories causing issues
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:06:39 GMT
On 8/15/2011 9:31 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Stefan Sperling<stsp@elego.de>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 09:30:58AM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>> Note that this is also one of the cases where the selection of the
>>> Apache license for Subversion, rather than GPL, means that Wandisco
>>> can build a business plan on selling these commercially enhanced
>>> versions of Subversion without ever publishing the code.....
>>
>> AFAIK they don't modify Subversion's code. Their solution proxys webdav
>> traffic between Subversion clients and servers, like a man-in-the-middle.
>> The licence of Subversion doesn't matter in this case.
>
> I'd be..... really, really surprised by that. I'd expect the
> pre-commit hooks, at least, to do some kind of verification of the
> local server's state as  the designated master node, to avoid the
> split-brain situations. But since it's closed source, I don't have
> access to it. Do you have a copy you can check on?

A non-standard pre-commit hook wouldn't technically be part of
subversion code either...

I can see how you might do a quorum based locking scheme there to make
things reliable in the case of a partitioned network with multiple
replicas, but what can it do to improve the time it takes for a certain
amount of new/uncached data to make it to the other side of a slow
network?  Don't the rules of physics still apply?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com