subversion-users mailing list archives

From Les Mikesell <lesmikes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Delay syncing to mirror repositories causing issues
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 16:06:29 GMT
On 8/15/2011 10:34 AM, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 10:06:39AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> I can see how you might do a quorum based locking scheme there to
>> make things reliable in the case of a partitioned network with
>> multiple replicas, but what can it do to improve the time it takes
>> for a certain amount of new/uncached data to make it to the other
>> side of a slow network?  Don't the rules of physics still apply?
>
> I believe with WD clients using a slave server can access data while it is
> being copied to the slave because read-requests for data that isn't yet
> available on the slave are proxied to the master.

How are you are going to try to improve throughput by pulling multiple
copies when the network is too slow go get one across for the cache?

> This is something Subversion's write-through proxy could do, too.
> But it doesn't right now. All read-requests are answered by the slave
> and they fail if requested data isn't available yet.

I suppose the direct access could help in the case where the revision
taking too long to sync is not the same data the client needs for its
update, but otherwise it could make things worse.  This might make a
good case for not putting multiple projects in the same repo, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com