subversion-users mailing list archives

From "ehuels@gmail.com" <ehu...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: gzip compression (was: Re: Logging Subversion client HTTP requests)
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 07:55:38 GMT
Please note that many of the responses subversoin sends are already compressed as binary difference
streams against the previous version. Gzip compression on REPORT responses isn't going to
yield an average factor 5 compression rate.

Erik.

Sent from my Nokia phone
-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Schmidt
Sent:  01/08/2011, 09:43
To: Manuel Lemos
Cc: Andreas Krey; Erik Huelsmann; users@subversion.apache.org
Subject: Re: gzip compression (was: Re: Logging Subversion client HTTP requests)

On Aug 1, 2011, at 02:16, Manuel Lemos wrote:

> Anyway, another odd thing is that the client always sends a request header saying it
can handle HTTP compression but SubVersion servers seem to never compress responses.

> Given than a typical gzip encoding can compress text data about 5 times, it seemed to
me there is a great opportunity to make SubVersion HTTP server accesses much faster, but that
opportunity is not being addressed because SubVersion HTTP servers do not compress responses.
Again I maybe missing something here.

I believe that's something you can set up in your httpd.conf if desired. It's a feature of
Apache and not specific to (nor configurable from) Subversion.