subversion-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Schmidt <subversion-20...@ryandesign.com>
Subject Re: Strange behavior on directory delete/commit
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 03:57:31 GMT
On Aug 2, 2011, at 07:11, Giulio Troccoli wrote:

> On 02/08/11 07:40, Dominik Psenner wrote:
>>
>> having a fresh subversion repository doing this as preparation:
>>
>> $ mkdir foo/
>> $ svn add foo
>> $ svn commit -m "test"
>> Adding	foo
>> Revision X sent.
>> $ rmdir foo
>> $ svn st
>> !	foo
>> $ svn delete foo
>> D	foo
>>
>> And finally this command fails:
>>
>> $ svn commit foo -m "fail"
>> svn: entry "foo" has no URL
>>

> I think SVN is behaving correctly. When you do svn commit foo you're telling Subversion
to commit changes made in foo. There are no changes in foo because it's been deleted. The
changes, instead, are in its parent directory, the one from where you issued your commands.
That's why svn commi works, it assumes . as the path.

I think "svn commit foo" would work fine, provided you do not "rmdir foo" first; that was
your error.

I also have a feeling Subversion 1.7's new working copy arrangement will fix or at least change
this behavior.