subversion-users mailing list archives

From Bob Archer <Bob.Arc...@amsi.com>
Subject RE: Estimation of repository upgrade
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2011 17:33:18 GMT
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Bob Archer <Bob.Archer@amsi.com> wrote:
>
> > Until you manually copy over the $repodir/db/uuid file, this is true.
> > That's one of the "relevant configuraton files" I referred to.
> So, are you saying svnsync will be faster than a dump/load?
>
> I didn't know the guid was stored in a file.
>
> svnsync is slower than dump/load.  I think the issue is that you can keep the
> old repository online during the process and switch when you are ready.
>
> BTW, why copy a file you are not supposed to when you could just use the
> svnadmin setuuid command to make the Repository UUID match between
> the two repositories?  No need to involve yourself in the internals of the
> repository when there is a public interface to do it for you.

Yes, that was my thought too. I will just run the dump/load during the weekend again. Also,
now that I know you can dump/load in a single step rather than to disk then load it shouldn't
be so bad.

I do think I will plan to dump filter out all the paths with binaries and move them to the
file system only or a separate repository that can be purged periodically and then use externals
to bring them into the WC. I think some people here have mentioned a binary library tool that
rotates your binaries... or I can just add it to my nant scripts like I currently do it with
test installers.

Thanks,
BOb