subversion-users mailing list archives

From Bob Archer <Bob.Arc...@amsi.com>
Subject RE: How to make password to store in Encrypted format
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2011 14:03:06 GMT
> How to make password to store in Encrypted format
>
> When I checkout a code i got the following message. I was searching in the
> net, I couldn't locate a proper document to avoid/configure svn password
> locally encrypted. Any help in this regard is highly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Wang,bin
>
> --------------------​--------------------​--------------------​-----------
> ATTENTION! Your password for authentication realm:
>
>    <http://someservername:3690> Test Project SVN
>
> can only be stored to disk unencrypted! You are advised to configure your
> system so that Subversion can store passwords encrypted, if possible. See
> the documentation for details.
>
> You can avoid future appearances of this warning by setting the value of the
> 'store-plaintext-passwords' option to either 'yes' or 'no' in
> '/home/AdmUsr/.subve​rsion/servers'.
> --------------------​--------------------​--------------------​-----------

Did you " See the documentation for details."???

" For other Unix-like operating systems, no single standard “keychain” service exists.
However, the Subversion client knows how to store passwords securely using the “GNOME Keyring”
and “KDE Wallet” services. Also, before storing unencrypted passwords in the ~/.subversion/auth/
caching area, the Subversion client will ask the user for permission to do so. Note that the
auth/ caching area is still permission-protected so that only the user (owner) can read data
from it, not the world at large. The operating system's own file permissions protect the passwords
from other non-administrative users on the same system, provided they have no direct physical
access to the storage media of the home directory, or backups thereof."

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn-book.html#svn.serverconfig.netmodel.creds

BOb